Tips to prepare for transport
In the week leading up to the journey:
- Ensure your horses are calm and confident when loading and travelling in a horse float or truck.
- Check that the float or truck has adequate ventilation and does not accumulate exhaust fumes.
- For long journeys, plan your 4 hourly rest stops at safe locations.
- If your horse is fussy about drinking ‘strange’ water, teach him or her to accept water flavoured with weak molasses, apple juice or cordial.
- Give Farmalogic Rejuvenate powder as a source of live yeast probiotics every day from 3-5 days prior to travel, even for short journeys. Farmalogic B-Good Paste can be given instead of Rejuvenate powder on the day of and the day after transport.
- Consider beginning preventative ulcer medications (from your vet) &/or Farmalogic ReLEAF as a source of proven nutraceuticals.
- Pack spare feeds and hay to allow time to transition onto newly purchased feeds if the horse will be away for an extended period.
- Ensure the regular diet contains adequate levels of plain salt (at least 7g/day salt per 100 kg horse bodyweight) to optimize hydration and electrolyte balance prior to travel.
- Ensure the regular diet contains adequate levels of antioxidants including vitamin E and selenium. Farmalogic Melox can be used to top up levels during transport and following heavy work and competition.
Guidelines to help your horses arrive at their destination in a healthier state and ready to perform to their potential.
- Click here to learn about the health risks in transporting horses.
- Click here for Tips for keeping your horse healthy during transport
- Click here for Tips for recovery from transport
Find out more about Farmalogic Equine products at www.farmalogicglobal.com or message us!
Click the image below to save 5% on Farmalogic products for supportive nutrition during transport. 😊